How much do you know about the advantages of expanded polystyrene (EPS) compared to other building insulation or packaging options in the market? Here is a quick list of benefits:
1. Versatile: EPS can be manufactured to almost any shape or size and is compatible with a wide variety of materials. The versatility of the EPS material, which can be moulded into almost any shape, allows it to be used for a variety of different purposes, from packaging to structurally insulated panels (SIPs).
2. Extremely safe: EPS is non-toxic and inert. It does not contain any toxic Chlorofluorocarbons (CFC’s) or Hydrofluorocarbons (HFC’s) during its life cycle. Therefore it contributes to a reduction in polluting gases and does not damage the ozone layer.
3. Healthy and hygienic: EPS has no nutritional value and presents no dangers to health in insulation and for hygienic EPS packaging is ideal for food and produce and meets international health regulations, due to its resistance to moisture, fungi and micro-organisms.
Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) manufactured by the Isowall Group is fast becoming recognized as the insulation material of choice by specifiers of “Bills of Quantities”. This comes largely as a result of our technical knowledge backed up by years of experience in the building and construction industry.
4. Recyclable: EPS is 100% recyclable. Research has shown than EPS has far less impact on the environment than other competitive materials for the same use. The transformation process consumes little energy and does not generate waste.
EPS can be recycled in many ways at the end of its lifecycle into new products or burned to recover its energy content because it holds a high calorific value.
5. Easy to use and transport: EPS is light, practical, safe and easy to handle and install in construction applications compared to alternatives such as wood, brick or concrete. EPS is almost as light as air. It is 98% made of air! Its lightweight nature makes it easy to handle and to transport to site, reducing fuel consumption.
6. Lifetime durability: EPS does not decompose or biodegrade. Therefore it does not contaminate the air or water with gases or hydro soluble substances. This makes EPS a sustainable and durable option for building and a great example of the efficient use of natural resources.
7. Cost-effective: EPS offers the best price/performance ratio compared to any other insulation material, providing low thermal conductivity at an affordable price.
The Isowall Group has been manufacturing and distributing Isolite Block Moulded EPS since 1985, and Isolite Shape Moulded EPS since 1992. Isolite EPS products are used primarily for insulation, lightweight fillers and semi-rigid cushioning.
Isowall is the supplier of choice within Africa for Insulated Sandwich Panel, EPS and EPP products. Contact us for more information.